Monday, October 1, 2012

The top 5 margaritas in New Orleans

During the two months I spent in New Orleans this summer, I had my fair share of margaritas. I love nothing more than a good Rita, on the rocks with salt,  with chips and salsa. So I made it my mission to test out some of New Orleans' best, and some of her shadier, watering holes. My top picks were also tested by a one Michael Romano. He's from Connecticut, but his margarita knowledge is trustworthy. These are categorized and in no particular order.

1. Strongest Nola Rita definitely goes to Superior Grill. If you brave these tequila infested concoctions I hope you call a cab, hop a streetcar, or have a begrudging Tulane frat pledge at your beck and call. There's a fun branch in Baton Rouge too, and they usually have a band to make that tequila work the dance floor.

2. My Favorite Overall, and the Best Specialty Rita, is definitely the Rivershack Tavern's acai berry margarita. The Rivershack is one of my favorite New Orleans joints. It's a little off the beaten path on River Road going towards Metairie. You never know what to expect, but I can predict that there will be awesome food and some kind of bizarre tale to take home to your friends. The bar stools are upturned legs, I've heard a self proclaimed voodoo mama sing, and multiple men have commented on my mother's zebra print sandals. A special kind of New Orleans.

3. Best Traditional, and by traditional I mean on the rocks with a salted rim, not too sour, not too sweet, was at El Gato Negro in Lakeview. There's another in the French Quarter too. Go for the Ritas, order some guac, and if you have room try out the bison taco. It may be the best Mexican food I've ever had.

4. The Worst Margarita but the Best Old World NOLA charm was at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar. Watery margaritas are the worst. Lafitte's is known for their purple mixed drink. Lesson learned- if you're on Bourbon you might as well try out the house special. Lafitte's is where the pirate Jean Lafitte had his blacksmith shop, and the bar still has that spooky seedy feel. Candles provide the only light source, and there's usually a piano man playing NOLA favorites from within the bar's shadowy bowels.

5. A Good Rita and a Good Time was had/passed by all at the Rum House on Magazine St. Magazine is a fun place to eat dinner and people watch, and this Caribbean taqueria is usually filled with characters and good music. Taco Tuesday is a good time to stop by for a Rita.

If you disagree I'll gladly try out any competition the next time I'm in New Orleans. Enjoy and happy tasting!

1 comment:

  1. Rae, Rae,
    So fun to see you are blogging! Once when we went to Italy on a 25th anniversary trip, my quest was for the best tira-misu. It was a delicious and fun quest, but the best? Right at home at Bella Figura in Lafayette.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate