Sunday, October 14, 2012

My favorite day of the year.

     Today is my favorite day of the year. This special day doesn't always fall on the same date, but it's always in mid-October and it's always tasty.


     It's the Gumbo Cookoff! The Cookoff takes place in downtown New Iberia, and since I was a child it's grown into a huge event that spills from Bouligny Plaza into Main Street and beyond. The Gumbo Cookoff is such a fun event that really brings New Iberia together, and I love it so much that I've introduced college friends and family to the concept.

     The mood is always festive. The temperature is usually hot, and the gumbo is even hotter. More than 85 "teams," ranging from restaurants to churches, school groups, and even gastronomically inclined families, compete for the revered title of finalist and/or champion.

     This blog's namesake, lagniappe, is a word, but it was also an amazing restaurant in downtown New Iberia. I still hold true to my belief that Ms. Elaine's chicken and sausage gumbo is the best in the world. Everyone else felt the same, I guess, because she has always been a judge at the Cookoff.

     For those of you who don't hail from southwest Louisiana, gumbo is a roux- mixture of flour and oil that must be diligently stirred until it turns a dark golden brown color- based concoction. Once you make your roux you can add in the holy trinity- celery, onions, and bell peppers- and your choice of meat. Pull out a bowl. Boil some rice. Top with gumbo. Mmm. My favorite food.

     Traditional gumbos are either chicken and sausage (andouille) or seafood. At the gumbo cookoff you may find alligator gumbo, turduckin, fried chicken, shrimp and okra, rabbit, venison, and others I've probably never heard or thought of. Each booth has take away cups so you can try multiple variations on this Louisiana favorite. Bring a bag. Your eyes will definitely be bigger than your stomach.

     If gumbo isn't your thing- to which I say, why in heaven's name not?- it is worth going to the Cookoff just to observe gumbo culture. Families meet and share their favorites. Cajun bands crank out chanky chanky, and those familiar tunes keep everyone's feet moving and hips swaying. I was lucky enough to share in the fun tonight when I Skyped home. Cousins, aunts, uncles, parents, my brother, and friends were all at my house cooling off and enjoying the day. I'm so happy I got to see them on my favorite day, and I'm even more happy that it may just be one of their favorite days too.

     The Gumbo Cookoff is, in my mind, a throwback to that old French mentality of joie de vivre. French blood must run deep because the Cajuns adopted their own expression laissez les bons temps rouler, let the good times roll, to add to that joy of living idea.

     Today in New Iberia I'm sure the good times were rolling as everyone took time to celebrate food, family, and the Cajun lifestyle. It's not just something that happens once a year back home. It happens all the time. The same thing happens in France.

     Sunday is a day of repose and family gatherings in France. Young families carry flowers away from the local market, probably on their way to grandmere's for Sunday brunch, and storefronts are closed. We went to the Saint Aubin market in Toulouse this morning. That same love of food and camaraderie that I see at New Iberia's Gumbo Cookoff was present at the market. So even though I couldn't have gumbo on my favorite day, I was able to go the market, eat an empanada, drink some wine, see the boys at La Fiancee, and watch Stade Toulousain- Toulouse's rugby team- trudge their way to victory in the company of friends. What more could a girl ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate