Friday, November 16, 2012

Cambridge for the day

     Sorry for my absence as of late. It took me a while to get over the jet lag, and I'm not entirely convinced that it's over yet. Here is the promised post on Cambridge with Bath coming soon.
The backside of King's College, Cambridge.

     802 years later, this grande dame of education still looks pretty spiffy. Quite, quite. I had visited Oxford in the past, so it was time to see what Cambridge is all about. Colleges are different in France, and the same goes for Britain. Chips are really French fries and crisps are chips. Colleges at Cambridge, and Oxford for that matter, are part of the larger university, but they also provide housing and other activities for students under their collective net. Brits say they are "going to university, or uni" in lieu of "going to college." So, when you visit Cambridge, you're really seeing multiple college campuses within the larger university system. There are 31 colleges that house and teach students at Cambridge. At trip to this uni is for lovers of architecture, science, history, waterways, well-manicured British gardens, and nature enthusiasts alike. 

     After a failed attempt at getting back to America post-Sandy, I decided to salvage the rest of my day with a day trip. A jaunt if you will. After some tears and a call home, I did what most self respecting Londoners wouldn't dare. I hailed a cabbie. It was therapeutic and probably cost about as much as a good hour of therapy would. My cabbie also let me know that the weather was projected to be sunny in Cambridge that day and rainy the next. Bath was the inverse. Not only did he bring me back to Marianne's flat, he unknowingly planned out my following two days in London.

     After schlepping my bags to Marianne's school to retrieve her key, I made my way to King's Cross. Did I stare longingly at Platform 9 and 3/4 as preteens and Asian tourists posed with their Hogwarts trolley? I did, but I didn't indulge. Britain's ability to embrace the magic is still fun to see. I digress.

     The train to Cambridge only takes about an hour an a half, and you pass through some lovely British countryside scenes along the way. There were lots of sheep. I lucked out with a seat mate who's daughter lives in Cambridge, so I asked for some suggestions. She told me to just get a pocket map of the city and wander. That I did. It's funny because people say the same thing about Venice, minus the map. They just tell you to wander around the waterways and bridges, away from San Marco, until you find a spot that catches your eye and your nose. 

     With my memories of Venetian wandering, I stashed the map in my pocket for the day and strolled the streets. I tried my best to look like a student, but I think my gawking gave me away. I'm a sucker for ancient architecture and revered learning all in one place. Add a river and a good meal and you have the recipe for a great afternoon. 

     My first stop was a gift shop with toys and trinkets designed with vintage flair like old folding maps, locally made scarves, and gloves. The gloves caught my eye. The store is right next to Auntie's Tea Shop, which looked like a good stop too. I bypassed the tea and went straight for lunch since I arrived around 1pm. I chose the Cambridge Chop House purely because I could people watch and study the King's College chapel as I ate my bangers, aka house-made sausage, and mash with creamy mustard sauce. For the bad reputation that traditional British cuisine usually gets, I have to say it was pretty good. 

   
     Davidson actually has a summer program in Cambridge, so it did feel a little like home. All of the hastily stashed bikes with wicker baskets and harried looking students made it really seem Davidson-esque. If you've had your fill of London, which some might say "tired of London, tired of life" to, Cambridge is a great place for a stroll amongst the fall foliage. Every turn was picturesque and bookishly romantic. 
Why go for a gondola ride on the Grand Canal when you can punt on the River Cam?
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate