Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Voting from afar

One of the main reasons for my starting this blog was an earnest attempt, on my part, to keep in contact with as many people as possible as I venture across the pond to Toulouse, France for 8 months. I'm notoriously bad at answering my phone/e-mail on the first try, but I'm doing better all the time. Plus, I do get back to you eventually, so that has to be worth something. 

During my time abroad I'll work as an employee of the French government in the Tarn academie of the Midi-Pyrenees region. I'm teaching baby Frenchies English, or at least that's what my Visa says. Most "assistants," as we're called, work in either the primary or secondary education sector. France hires over 1,200 assistants each year to give French children exposure to native English, Spanish, and German speakers. You can even teach in the Caribbean! The public school system is still confusing to me, so I won't try to compare it to our system just yet.  

So, for today's little something extra, I decided to go through a bullet on my to-do list. Amongst other things, a visit to New Iberia's voter registration office was in order. I figured getting a mail-in ballot for France would be a huge ordeal. I pictured the OMV, but the people at the courthouse were super nice and helpful. If ever you're abroad during an election, you can have a ballot faxed to your address. You vote. You fax the ballot back. You've successfully exercised your rights as an American all while drinking a glass of wine and eating a crepe. At least that's hope how my presidential election season will play out. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate